🍐 Asian Pear Salad with Endive and Walnuts

My lovely neighbor had an abundance of Asian Pears and gifted some to me. Asian Pears have a gifting history across China, Japan and Korea as symbols of respect, purity, good fortune, longevity and abundance. All of these are qualities in short supply and you can send them in my direction, for sure. What’s more, they encouraged the preparation of a healthy lunch – since I have time to prep during the day.

If you haven’t tried them before, Asian Pears are like a cross between an apple and a water chestnut.  The skin is very al dente but prepping them in thin cuts or with a mandolin highlights how fresh and crisp the flesh of the fruit is.  I planned an Asian Pear salad with sliced endive and walnuts. Wouldn’t you know, I had some Gorgonzola Dolce in the fridge. The rich indulgence of the cheese being the perfect contrast to the cool, water dense fruit. 

Toasted the walnuts. And made a dressing of: olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, rice wine vinegar, amino acids or soy sauce, mustard as an emulsifier and a drop of honey.  Mixed the salad ingredients in a bowl, dressed it and left it to chill a bit for a satisfying lunch.  For re-use, I’ll save the sleeves of the fruit (pictured here) for apples, rather than have the apples all jumbled together in a bag in the crisper. If you watch too much YouTube, you’ll see that people use these sleeves as special costumes for their cats.

With the abundance, other recipe options for Asian Pears will be featured on Greens Water soon. Though I am sure to have one of them just for a snack.

#asianpears




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uh oh! So many leaks all over the place….

Are you ok? The K‑Shaped Economy

A Healthier Lemonade πŸ‹